What is Panic Attack?
Panic attack meaning: A panic attack is a situational based discomfort that happens due to an intense fear of something or a situation that is happening at the back of the mind. It reaches a peak within a couple of minutes before things can be analyzed. This is a temporary episode when a person is paranoid. This is over and above their normal anxiety. It is treatable by several therapies.
What are the Symptoms of Panic Attack?
Panic Attack Symptoms: A panic attack may compromise of at least any four of the symptoms which are:
- Increased heart rate or palpitation
- Shivering of body or heat sensation
- Trembling of hands or legs
- Pain on one side of the body
- Breathing problem
- Chest pain
- Weakness or dizziness
- Lonely or depressed, unsteady decisions, fear of losing someone or oneself.
Panic attacks can be full-blown wherein it may have more than four symptoms or it may be a limited-symptom panic attack where the symptoms are up to four in number. It is almost the same for common people but they are medically proven different. Panic attack reaches the highest level of intensity in 10 minutes or less and then starts subsiding. People suffering from frequent panic attacks are prone to heart disease, asthma, diabetes or thyroid problems. It is seen that they often visit a therapist or doctor for the same. Anxiety, on the other hand, is differentiable on the basis of symptoms like fast beating of heart or crunches in the stomach. The main difference is in the duration and intensity of the attack.
A panic attack can also be a situational based attack and comes in different psychological forms like before a speech in an event or when restricted to be a part of any ritual or anything one feels is mandated to attend. The term for this is obsessive-compulsive disorder.
How long does a panic attack last?
Tenor of panic attack episode: Technical literature shows that generally a panic attack episode lasts between 15 to 30 minutes. The intensity or severity of the attack can also vary during this period. Sometimes these can get prolonged as well but such cases are minimal. A person can tackle this situation by keeping themselves in comfort zone until the episode is over.
What are the risks due to Panic Attacks?
Panic attack risks: The risks adjoined to panic attacks are:-
- Experiencing an unhealthy situation or incidents as a child or adult
- Loss or separation from a loved one
- Family problems like stress due to relationship, responsibilities or financial crisis
- Continuous health issue and pain or depression
- Close ones suffering from a health issue or panic attacks
- Addiction towards drugs or alcohol
Panic attacks can be frightening and people with frequent attacks. Try making lifestyle changes like avoiding exercise to control the heart rate or avoiding places or situations that make them lose their control. Anxiety attacks are not much serious but due to repetitive anxiety attacks, they might turn into panic attacks.
Earlier did not know about panic attacks. Now a detailed study is available to diagnose this condition. We can see that people are often scared or embarrass to discuss the same with their family or close ones are for the same they part themselves from them. They fear their family and friends will consider them as a hypochondriac. In certain cases, they don’t even disclose about it with their doctor considering that they would be treated as a mentally ill person and would be avoided or sympathized by people around. In most cases, people are not yet aware of this condition.
What are the Remedies for Panic Attacks?
Panic Attack remedy: Due to the advancement of education and people’s understanding on medical symptoms and ever-increasing lifestyle stress, work pressure, phobias (agoraphobia- fear of crowd or open space; claustrophobia- fear of small spaces; acrophobia- fear of heights), relationship status people, withdrawal from addictions like alcohol or drugs have become cautious and have started empowering themselves by discussing the same with the healthcare professionals and seek out for help in the form of treatment.
Your doctor might suggest certain tests that would help them to get a better insight of the condition to carry on the further treatment procedure- a physical exam, blood test, ECG or EKG- a heart test or psychological evaluation or questionnaire.
Other than this you can take personal care of yourself:-
Home Remedies for panic attack:
- Take deep breaths: when you feel your breath quickens control your mind and inhale air as much as your stomach blots and count four and exhale. Repeat this till your breath does not slow down.
- Acceptance: Accepting situations around you is a big thing and this would reduce your fear.
- Mindfulness: Practice mindfulness by observing your thoughts and control your reactions towards them.
- Relaxation therapy: practice therapies like aromatherapy or muscle relaxation or close your eyes. Take a good shower or use lavender that relaxes your mind.
- Try reducing stress
- Identify and stop negative thoughts and people
- Eat a balanced diet
- Practice yoga or meditate
- Limit consumption of caffeine, alcohol or drugs
What is Alternate Medical Treatment for Panic Attack?
Open up and speak to your doctor in detail about what is troubling you. S/he might be the best person to advise you as s/he might listen to you patiently. You might be suggested certain antidepressants, antianxiety drugs or benzodiazepines. You may also be suggested a combination of treatments for a better cure.
Panic attacks occur only on those suffering from anxiety. Though panic attack phase is temporary and passes away in a short tenor but the patient always worries about it occurring again. This makes their lives very troublesome. It is necessary to find the underlying cause of panic attacks and only an expert can do it with thorough analysis. Psychological analysis takes much more time than other medical problems. The OPD consultation duration of the patient is also high. This proves the necessity of meticulous examination of the situation. Thus, the need is to keep precautions in mind and take expert help to avoid harder complications or any trauma in undue panic.
- Medical Appointment Management System
- Medical Payment System
- Massage Oils
- How to Control BP without Medicine?
- How To Appear More Good Looking and Younger
- High Blood Pressure Encyclopedia
- Low Sex Drive in Women
- Ayurvedic Sex Medicines
* For any comments, information sharing or Questions and Answers on the topic please Login to vvfit.com and connect with the author or the Appropriate Group